Reader Eric submitted this addendum to the original “The 6 Types of Software Engineer.” The Cranky Product Manager liked it so much, she changed the name of the series to “7 Types of Software Engineers.”
Submit captions for this cartoon of “The Clockwork Mouse” in this post’s comments. And don’t forget to submit captions for the other Software Engineer Types as well…
The Clockwork Mouse
Unlike the other types of software engineers, the Clockwork mouse is most often female. The Mouse works consistently, quietly, and diligently on any project, sub-project, or tiny little feature that is given to her. She is the perfect engineer for that boring file conversion job.
- Rarely leaves the safe haven of the cube. Must be forced to join meetings.
- People often ask how long the Clockwork Mouse has worked there when she is spotted (briefly) outside the confines of her cube. Very often, the Mouse has been with the company longer than the person asking.
- Often talks with a very meek voice and is unwilling to contradict anybody, even when she clearly knows the right answer.
- Nobody knows what this engineer does with her personal time.
- Will consistently finish projects on time, but in the most bland manner as possible.
- Her sense of interface design is non-existent. The interface will either be horribly complex and confusing or so primitive that it will make you wonder if if a
C:prompt would be better.
- She often codes something completely different from the specs because she is too afraid to ask questions.
You may not know this engineer is actually on your project.
Any type of social interaction will cause so much stress that the Clockwork Mouse might blow a spring.
Assign non-interface related projects that are intricate, yet boring. The mouse will thrive in this environment. QA is another good bet.
Also in 7 Types of Engineers
- Caption Contest! (7 Types of Engineers)
- Caption Contest: The Veteran (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)
- Caption Contest: The Hotshot (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)
- Caption Contest: The Great One (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)
- Caption Contest: The Teflon-gineer (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)
- Caption Contest: Offshore (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)
- Caption Contest: The Maverick (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)
- Caption Contest: The Clockwork Mouse (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)