The Great One
Where did this engineer come from, and can you have five more of him?
- Always delivers on schedule, even when unforeseen code bottlenecks require more time that initially estimated.
- If unforeseen bottlenecks arise, you don’t hear about it from this engineer. Instead, you hear about how this engineer worked all weekend from one of his peers.
- Respected by engineering peers. Professional in meetings.
- Honest with estimates.
- May have a Star Trek accent or a superhero fetish. Loves watching “How It’s Made”.
- Solid code, sometimes delivers more than what was requested.
- After the feature is launched, asks whether it met the users’ needs.
- Keeps up with his bug queue.
Do you need this engineer?
Try not to hug this engineer in public. He gets embarrassed and human contact is sometimes confusing.
This engineer is so dependable that his manager tends to put him on every project. He sometimes has trouble saying “no”, so can become overstretched. Also he tends to be optimistic in his estimates.
- Give lots of public credit to this engineer, even if he doesn’t care about that — because his peers might.
- Send nice notes to his management.
- Don’t ask him to attend time-waster meetings, but if he must, publicly change the agenda to accommodate his part first so he can leave quickly.
- Add time to his initial estimates to buy him some wiggle room.
- Play Halo with him
- Bring him food.
- Ask how you can help him, and ask often.
- Encourage this engineer to breed.
Also in 7 Types of Engineers
- Caption Contest! (7 Types of Engineers)
- Caption Contest: The Veteran (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)
- Caption Contest: The Hotshot (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)
- Caption Contest: The Great One (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)
- Caption Contest: The Teflon-gineer (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)
- Caption Contest: Offshore (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)
- Caption Contest: The Maverick (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)
- Caption Contest: The Clockwork Mouse (The Seven Types of Software Engineers)