OMG, the Cranky Product Manager is slipping the schedule for this book again. Sorry, sorry, sorry. ETA is ???? Let’s say it’s at least 2 months from now until I can share an electronic draft.
I just wrote out a bullshit list of excuses for why this is late, but erased it because it is Bullshit.
Bottom line is this book is late because I obnoxiously thought it would be easy. Alas, it is turning out to be one of the toughest things I’ve done. I want the book to be useful yet funny. With the blog I only cared about funny, so that was way easier. And in trying to make it useful, I’ve questioned and reevaluated everything I’ve ever learned about the product management profession.
The book IS making progress though, and is already of much higher quality that it would have been had I just stuffed a bunch of my old blog posts between two covers. It’s just a much bigger slog than expected.
I am HAPPY to provide a 100% refund to any supporter who no longer wishes to wait for the book.
Again my apologies. I am working hard to produce something that will be worth the wait, so I really really appreciate your patience.
Here’s the current Table Of Contents. It’s not thrashing much anymore (I had previously fundamentally restructured it 7 or 8 times) , so I think this might be close to the final one.
There is some content – clearly marked in the below TOC — that is “on the bubble”. I would like to include it, but I am worried it will make the book too long and might be redundant with content in other areas. I’d like your thoughts.
Any and all feedback on this TOC is welcome.
Ch 1. Intro:
- Who this book is for and who is is NOT for (It’s for SOFTWARE PMs, and very little here on Product MARKETING)
- What you should already know about Product Management (this book is not for complete beginners)
- CRANKY COMIC – what people think PMs do
Ch 2. How to “Do” Product Management
- Broad outline of a process that (usually) works for both new and existing products
- CRANKY RANT: Everything the Cranky Product Manager Thought She Knew (about process) was Wrong
Ch 3. Step 1: Listen Wicked Hard (Market Sensing)
- Understand the Target Market and Its Problems
- Conducting Interviews: who to interview, how to get them, what to ask
- Other Research: surveys, focus groups, Innovation Games (TM Luke Hohmann), etc.
- Personas and Archetypes
- Reality Check: Questions & Answers about problems
- CRANKY RANT: Pivoting from Enterprise Software to Porn (true story)
Ch 4. Step 2: Evaluating Product Opportunities and Getting all Strategic and Stuff
- Is there a real (profitable) product opportunity here?
- CRANKY RANT: Oh Great, Another Strategic Framework.
- Product Strategy Frameworks: pick one, any one (MRD, POA, the XXX canvas, …)
- (Maybe: other strategic stuff: industry forces, competition, product lifecycle, viral,…)
- Market sizing & Basic financial models for SW products
Ch 5. Step 3: “Discovering ” the product to fit the opportunity
- Creating product concepts & getting usable feedback
- Tips on identifying an MVP / MVF (where “F” is for feature)
- Laying out a product vision (without acting like a Product Douche)
- To Roadmap or not to Roadmap?
6. Step 4: Define the product
- PRD or no? Prototype or no?
- CRANKY RANT: The Care, Feeding, and Placating of Your Highly Tempermental UExp Designers
- Typical “Requirements” you must at least consider – (upgradability, usage logging, prompt for referrals, etc.)
- How to get market feedback on under-construction product
Ch 7. Step 5: The Fine Art of Product Midwifery (or Dancing with Development)
- Your reponsibilities when the coding is going on
- CRANKY RANT: The Cranky One’s First Encounter with a Product Manager
- Flowchart: how to get the respect of development
- How to not be a complete dick/bitch to your Devs.
- Agile Product Management Tips
- Waterfall (if you must)
Product Management Tips
- Tips & Tricks
Ch 8. Step 6: Prepping the Rest of the Org for Your Product
- Marketing (COMIC): what they need from you, what you need from them, some recycled blog stuff
- Working with Sales (SalesDroid brain), tips & tricks, some recycled blog stuff
- Support, Services, Ops, legal, finance, other…
- Post launch triage
Ch 9. Step 7: In-flight PM
- measuring product performance
- making in-flight adjustments
Ch 10: Step 8: Product Hygeine
- old products, old versions, unused / old features
- CRANKY RANT: Feature hoarders
- technical debt, refactoring
(POSSIBLE: Ch 11: Running Wicked Awesome Customer Feedback programs)
(POSSIBLE: Ch 12: How to Wield Influence, the Cranky Way)
(POSSIBLE: Ch 13: Pricing. with CRANKY RANT: The Art of Product Pricing )
Ch 14: New Job? Checklist for Getting Up to Speed, Wicked Fast.
Ch 15: Conclusion
- CRANKY COMIC – “The Game of Life”, Product Managment Edition
- CRANKY RANT: How to NOT be a Product Douche (was “growth hackers and other douchebags”)