– Common Product Management Fuck-Ups That Strike Even the Experienced
Common Product Management Fuck-Ups That Strike Even the Experienced
- Acting like a Requirements Monkey.
- Punting on strategy.
- Not focusing on a particular target market.
- Not meeting with enough customers often enough.
- Not meeting with prospects and non-customers often enough.
- Not truly understanding the real problems faced by your target market.
- Hearing only what you want to hear.
- Being afraid to draw pictures.
- Writing a Magnum Opus of a requirements doc or strategy doc, primarily to cover your ass.
- Forgetting to incorporate features into your product that help you measure success or failure, and thereby improve over time.
- Going along with a development process that can’t adjust when faced with negative market feedback
- Becoming Development’s co-dependent, and having them come to you about the placement of every freakin’ pixel.
- Allowing a piece of shit to ship.
- Making the product hard to buy or up-edition.
- Thinking that landing reference customers for a new product/release is someone else’s job.
- Letting the release treadmill create a “boat anchor” editioning and pricing situation.
- Assuming that everyone that stands in your way is an asshole or a political player.
- Neglecting to spend the time building rapport and credibility with engineers.